Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Tattoos of the Future

Learning about digital tattoos in class, I was taken back with how easy it was to find out personal information! I couldn’t help but look into my own name to see what was out there and I was pleasantly surprised that I didn’t have much out there besides my current employment.  I prefer my digital tattoo to be minimal and so as not to divulge private information. I am comfortable with technology and have used social media, however, when you look up my name you would not find anything. I don't have anything to hide but am capable with technology tools. Knowing that a tattoo is permanent I do not feel that there is a need to be super public about my private life as an educator.  However, I am enjoying my experience thus far with creating a professional digital tattoo. I know that education and society is revolving around technology in our future and even now and I am feeling more comfortable with embracing the shift slowly. 
 I do think as an educator it is important to teach/bring student attention to the idea of digital tattoo/presence. Especially with my younger students, I feel like there is a care-free attitude when using technology. Therefore, I think it is valuable to teach them to be mindful of what they are putting onto social media. It is never to early to learn that a tattoo is permanent but that you have control over what is put on display. 


 I found the media literacy segment alarming at times but not a brand new concept. I feel that it is extremely important for students to be exposed to media literacy definitely by middle school. Perhaps even the late elementary school age students would benefit from some education around media literacy due to the fact that self awareness starts to be developed. 

1 comment:

  1. I agree that it seems many of our younger learners are carefree when it comes to technology. After all, it's been a part of their entire existence so they don't see it as anything out of the ordinary. This is one of the reasons its so important to start having the conversations early.

    ReplyDelete